British Columbia announced further details on the BC Vaccine Card and shared information on the rollout on Tuesday.
The BC Vaccine Card has a secure, individualized QR code and an image that shows the vaccination status as “vaccinated” or “partially vaccinated”. Companies scan QR codes from a QR reader app with a smartphone or tablet while checking a person’s ID (BC driver’s license or BC service card, or passport or photo ID issued by another province or territory).
BC says an enterprise mobile QR reader app for iPhone and Android will be near the first Jan.
Currently, BC residents can obtain their BC Vaccine Card at gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard. The card is a PDF that shows your name, vaccination status and a QR code. Digital copies can be saved on your phone or a paper version can be printed.
There is currently a digital queue as the demand on the site is high.
“Getting vaccinated means we can bring people back together and do more, safe and confident that we are not putting those who are not fully vaccinated at risk,” Prime Minister John Horgan said in a statement.
“We made the BC Vaccine Card easy for people to access and easy for companies to review at a glance. The card is a significant step in getting our economy going and getting back to social events safely, knowing that our fellow human beings are fully vaccinated too, ”said Horgan.
As of September 13, for people born in 2009 or earlier (12+), you will need at least one dose of vaccination to enter the following locations:
- Indoor sporting events with tickets
- Hall concerts, theater, dance and symphony events
- Licensed restaurants and restaurants that offer table service (indoor and terrace dining)
- Pubs, bars and lounges (dinner and terrace)
- Night clubs, casinos and cinemas
- Health Clubs, Exercise Facilities / Studios, Pools, and Recreational Facilities
- Companies that offer indoor group training
- Indoor group and team sports for adults aged 22 and over
- Indoor events from 50 people. For example: wedding receptions, organized parties, conferences and workshops
- Indoor organized group leisure classes and activities such as pottery, arts and choir
- Post-secondary student dormitory on campus
Here are the three statuses available via the BC Vaccine Card’s QR code:
The BC government says the BC Vaccine Card Verifier app will be available for download on Apple’s App Store for iPhone users and the Google Play Store for Android smartphones as the system is similar to what is currently available in Quebec. Stay tuned as we will update this post with download links accordingly as they go live.