The May updates to the Google Play system for Android phones add Nearby Share self-sharing, a redesign of the Google Help app, and more.
Every month, Google presents the latest updates of the so-called “Google system” for Android. This includes everything from Google Play services, the Play Store and Android’s “Google Play system updates”. Because these three core aspects of your phone are closely intertwined, Google offers update notes for them in one convenient place, with new notes updated and added frequently throughout the month.
The easiest way to check if you need to update Google Play Services on your phone is to follow a direct link to the app’s Play Store listing and update from there if available. To update the Play Store, tap your avatar in the corner, then tap Settings. Under the “About” section, you will see an “Update Play Store” option. In the meantime, you can find Google Play system updates from the Settings app under About phone > Android version > Google Play system update.
The main feature of the Google Play May 2022 updates is the introduction of self-sharing for Nearby Share. If you haven’t had a chance to use Nearby Share on your Android phone, it offers a similar experience to AirDrop on Apple devices and is also compatible with Chromebooks and Windows PCs. Self-sharing makes it easier to send files, links, and text from one of your own devices to another without having to accept the incoming share on the receiving device.
Another notable feature is the redesign of the Google Help app. Since last year, Google has been constantly redesigning its various apps and applets to use Material You, their latest design language, which premiered on the Pixel 6. It’s possible that a similar such redesign is coming for the company’s Google Help, on-device support, and knowledge base hub.
Each monthly update also includes its own selection of security improvements. Otherwise, many of the update notes are the same as last month, including mentions of improvements to Play Pass and Play Points.
To get these features, improvements, and more on your own device, you should be using Google Play Services version 22.15 and Play Store version 30.3, both of which should be rolling out on May 2nd. So far, a date has not been announced for Android’s May Google Play system update.
Google Play System Updates for May 2022
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Bug fixes for Account Management and System Management and Diagnostic Services.
- [Phone, Tablet] Migrate the onboarding flow for the existing supervised work accounts device setup to a web-based experience.
- [Auto, Phone, TV] Nearby Share now allows users to share content more seamlessly between their devices signed into the same account.
Google play store
- Improvements to the play-as-you-download feature to allow players to start playing mobile games, while app download further reduces wait times.
- New features to help you discover your favorite apps and games.
- Optimizations that allow faster and more reliable download and installation.
- New features for the Play Pass and Play Points programs.
- Google Play billing improvements.
- Continuous improvements to Play Protect to protect your device.
- Various performance optimizations, bug fixes, and improvements related to security, stability, and accessibility.
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Design improvements to the Google Help app.
- Updates to system management services that improve stability and performance.
- New developer capabilities for Google and third-party app developers to support ads, location services, and utility-related developer services in their apps.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Visit 9to5Google on YouTube for more news: