Iron Gate has released the Mountains update for Walheim introduces the caves into the game.
Now you can finally discover the frozen caves inhabited by the Fenring brothers. This update also includes a new event involving one of the new creatures.
In this patch, the game has also been optimized for Steam Deck. It also includes full controller support for PC and a pause function in single player.
The developers noted that the update will force a new location generation of the game worlds, which will result in slightly longer loading times when first opened – and could slightly shift some boss locations. The Frost Caverns will also only spawn in previously unexplored areas.
Iron Gate is also working on the Mistlands update and has released some new concept art on the game’s Steam page.
You can check out the patch notes below.
Valheim mountains update
- frost caves
- Added anniversary drinking horn
Corrections and improvements
- Pause function in single player
- Full controller support (gamepad legend and alternate glyphs)
- Gamepad text input when traversing in Steam Big Picture mode
- UI, settings and Steam Deck fixes
- FPS limiter and reduced background performance
- The split dialog can accept numeric input
- Signs can now be built without a workbench
- Bug fixes and quality of life improvements
- The armor stand now supports atgeirs and shield styles
- Nomap mode optimizations
- Added Frost Caverns as a new dungeon (only appear in unexplored areas)
- New Enemies: Ulv, Cultist, Bat
- New crafting materials: Red Burlap, Fenring Hair, Fenring Claw
- New Armor Set: Fenris Mantle, Fenris Leggings, Fenris Hood (equip them all at once for an added bonus!)
- New weapon: Flesh Rippers (fists)
- Newly built parts: red jute carpet, red jute curtain, standing brazier
- New Event: “You Stirred the Cauldron”
Corrections and improvements
- FPS limiter setting and option to reduce GPU usage when minimized, menu FPS limited to 60
- Various improvements and additions to console commands, see console help
- Fixed some dungeon parts not being fully deterministic (endings).
- Improvements in Nomap mode (Vegvisr alternative, Nomap is a server setting, maximum screaming distance, random build/spawn rotation, ‘noportals’ command)
- Resolution now only shows refresh rate when forced to exclusive full screen mode
- Various UI fixes
- The name of the Unarmed skill has been changed to Fists
- Helmets covering the player character’s face should now hide the beard
- “Reduce background performance” is available as a setting
- Jack-o-Turnip + Yule stuff recipes disabled
- The building marker is more subtle and indicates figure rotation
- Corpse Run gives a carry weight bonus to compensate for the unequipped belt
- Crafting stackable items with a full inventory is now possible if stack slots are available
- Fixed a bug where stackable items would sometimes not be taken when the inventory is full and “Take All” is pressed in a chest
- The chat can now be closed with Esc, Mouse or Gamepad B
- Full controller support
- Controller legend visible in the pause menu and settings
- Controller text input in Steam Big Picture mode. Chat, characters, signs, pets, etc. can now be named using the controller.
- Controller mapping of all game functions
- Context menus now always show controller buttons when the controller is in use
- Alternative controller glyph styles option
- Skills window scrollable with gamepad
- Crafting can be canceled by pressing the button again (like with the mouse).
- Fixed some missing/misplaced gamepad tooltips
- The Steam Deck Controller layout is displayed when playing on Steam Deck
- Loads default settings for the Steam Deck
- Improvements for several community translated languages